Learning Management system (LMS) is a software application for training, administration Tracking, Reporting delivering training programs and used as learning and development programs. LMS got introduced in the year of 1990 (1). Nowadays, Learning Management Systems (LMS) not restricted to distant uses. Nevertheless, the designed courses are strongly dependent on the Instructor’s knowledge and expertise about the targeted platform. Learning Management System (LMS) as a web-based technology in educational programs, provides support to instructors to reach their pedagogical goals, organize course contents and support students. This study is an attempt to investigate the factors that influence the success of LMS. The research model was developed by examining the relationship between Employees and users’ outcomes.
The software allows companies and educational institutions administrators to create training and manage lessons, courses, quizzes and other training materials and customized training based on the Company and education institutions training requirements. LMS Which deliver training materials and experiences to employees, students or partners and enables the electronic delivery of educational courses and training. It is a software platform used by the learner, administrator and other users from every industry to create, manage, and deliver learning and development training materials. LMS authorized individuals of companies and educational institutions to this unique system through URL or a unique User ID and Password. An LMS Enables online learning opportunities that engage employees in the training process. An LMS may offer classroom management for instructor-led training or a flipped classroom, used in higher education, but not in the corporate space. LMS systems will be used by the Learning and development team for training programs in organizations, and it would be an import part of the organization and used to implement training and professional development of employees. (2)
LMS software components
- Server – performs the core functionalities of creating and managing courses for LMS
- User interface – used by Learners and administrators to access and monitor the content and programs.
LMS has two specific users one is Administrator and second is learner both use LMS
- Administrators – Learning management systems administrator who controls the users’ access group, curricula, training creation ILT assignments extract reports and provides a security role to the learners
- Learners – Users who can view the assigned training to his account the ability to complete and e sign the training using User ID and Password for the LMS (2)
Company employees can use LMS, Training institutes, Association team members, and profit & nonprofit constituents they all benefitted using LMS. An LMS makes it easy to learn basic training of career growth, company policies, software specific training which can be accessed online.
- Businesses & companies – Most of the business organizations & companies, use LMS platforms for enterprise-wide training and development of their employees. LMS system not only helps onboarding and educating employees, but it also maintains and organizes records with improved reporting.
- Nonprofits & associations – Nonprofits and Trade associations used to train massive amounts of volunteers and run their organizations on a fixed budget. LMS helps these nonprofit associations grasp technology to do this and meet their numbers. They used to deliver professional development courses to their members.
- Healthcare facilities – LMS software simplifies compliance management for the healthcare sector and enables flawless information sharing.
- Government agencies – Eliminates the wasting of critical budget funds and flawless sharing of information to support the efforts across various government groups.
- Educational institutions – Universities, training institutes, schools and colleges can reach new users, learners through online courses that will be delivered using LMS system this helps users, learners in increased knowledge at flexible rates. (2)
- Unlimited access – Learning and training materials are always available to your workforce members, or constituents regardless of any given time of the day and location.
- Increased productivity – Nowadays, everyone has a busy schedule doing their day to day activity. Through LMS, employees can learn and complete courses in their own time by meeting the training deadlines; hence, productivity is being increased.
- Cost-effective – LMS systems eliminate training cost, faculty cost, venue rentals, travel, training materials, and catering.
- Streamlined onboarding process – Training new employees using LMS is faster and easier. Employees added as a learner account in the LMS. This LMS system software will allow them to access there assigned training’s, organizations vision mission, and goals so that they can complete the training within less time and start performing their day to day activity.
- Educate every employee – LMS system ensures that everyone receives the same training and its procedures information once the employee is in the LMS system as a learner. It ensures that every employee gets trained and qualified (2).
Selection and Implementation Challenges
These days, companies and organization may face similar challenges in training employees effectively; even these challenges may increase if the size of the organization is significantly large. Training becomes difficult for them. LMS system utilized for a great result, and this will have a good impact as well. Even with these benefits, they have challenges in Implementing LMS. (3)
Identify their objectives. What do they need from an LMS? Why do they need an LMS? How is it going to address their online training? Investigate thoroughly before the purchase of LMS. All goals need to be clear before purchasing an LMS.
Besides the overall costs of the LMS also inquire about the additional overheads like vendor charges, licensing fee, extra fee for advanced support updates and maintenance fee. If this charge is hidden or added later, it will overshoot your yearly training budget.
Failure to find an implementation team
Implementing an LMS is an effort of experienced implementing-team. An inexperienced squad may provide unexpected result and costly delays. Implementing Team, IT experts teams need to use a trial version of LMS and get all the feedback before final implementation.
Not using free demos
Free trials and demos need to be tried out before buying LMS. Discover flaws related to user training interface or failure of features might be required.
Not forecasting the future
If LMS is fit as per your current business requirement, always predict about the future if it would full-fill your future business requirements. You may need only a few learners /users now. But the number of users might expand in the future and also your selected LMS charges for each user. Does this LMS meet your future training budget cost?
Access from anywhere
It gives employees, users the flexibility to complete training anytime, anywhere using their PCs, tablets, It also helps employees/users to meet the training deadline and complete training on time.
Reduced training expenses
Organization Policy and Employee training courses built, created and uploaded; the same is used through the LMS system. Organizations can save costs which they spent on hiring facilitator and training facilities
Customized courses and training programs
LMS usually ensures customization of courses specific to organizational needs. Training can be built using LMS tools and features. Custom training is suitable for increasing overall performance. Technically modern LMS provide Pre-built templates for content creation, extensions, and customization of the training. Training can be created and customized, specific to organizational requirements. (3)
Lower complexity and cost
Believe, and change to an LMS was fact intentionally, time-absorbing and costly. This decision was for saving the price and not for the interest of Learners. As this is the only reason for LMS market growth is strong.
The rise of mobility
Within less time, our society has entirely accepted mobile use and its features as part of their daily life. Mobile Network connectivity gives new ways and level of learning.
Custom learning experiences
It is possible to map learning experiences to specific learners needs and behaviour over time. We can have more training and promote them through online activities. Supported by an experienced resource who is always available on-demand, for learners. (4)
The Purpose of Organization Management Systems is to enhance the learning process. LMS makes things easier for the organization, as it helps to plan the training activities for the calendar year. Using LMS, they can maintain and improve the training process. The organizational team need to choose the best LMS system, which not only shares the content with the users, also manages the registered training courses, administration courses, tracking, Reporting, and Analysis of skill gap. It needs to be user-friendly in terms of executing using LMS if the users’ count is on the higher side in future for the organization. Also look out for sneaky hidden training costs, like maintenance, course revision, and time is also crucial for keeping your training expenses within the training budget. All training cost needs to be calculated by the organization. Which includes all modes of training that are online and offline, and then finalize the best suitable LMS System. Which works best with the available resources available and which fits in the Organization training budget.
MD Arifuddin, LMS Specialist
Arifuddin has 7 years of Industry experience as an LMS Specialist for Compilancwire Learning Management System (LMS), Consumer Research and Development (R&D), and leading LMS team at iMEDGlobal (an FMD K&L Inc company).